Sunday 9 November 2014

My kind of CLEAN and SIMPLE !!!

Hello crafters..
Am back soon with another “not so complicated” project today. Before that, I would like to thank you all for the wonderful responses to my “forever fall” deco piece. Looks like you liked the bright colors, this project today is a contrast to that in terms of colors and embellishments.
 I managed to do something clean and simple…NO NO NOT A CARD…this is my DT project for AnythingBut A Card challenge#41 blog where the theme this month  is an open challenge. You can make anything as long as it is not a card.

I have re cycled an old wooden wedding invite into an altered wall plaque! I first sanded it and gave a liberal coat of gesso sanding in between layers. This time I wanted some soothing color and wanted to have lots of white! I know you might be as surprised as me on this thought. Believe me, I struggled to keep it simple but I had this vision in mind and then just did what I wanted to see…
I colored the panel in pastel turquoise acrylic colors and thane sanded it to reveal some white in parts and in some places the wood beneath too.
I drew a free hand heart in the center and used Pva glue to create cracks there. Once happy with that I masked the heart and went about creating textures on the rest of the board.
For this, I mixed equal parts of Putty chalk powder with white glue and little water to get a paste like consistency and poured it into a plastic paper cone, with its tip cut. Now with one side sealed when you press the cone, the paste oozes out of the fine tip which can be adjusted depending on how much you cut it.
Once again I drew free hand flourishes and swirls and left it over night to dry. The next day it was tough and strong..I sanded it a bit and rubbed in inka gold and some walnut stain DI just to age it a bit. There I go again…can’t keep anything really clean can I ???

Once I was happy with the aged panel, I went with creating the embellishments. This time, it was going to be simple…remember??? I made these flowers from scraps of pattern paper that I had. The roses are using TH tattered florals die and the  daisy is using CLD Shasta daisy die and the flower center has some flat back pearls.

I used walnut stain to ink the edges of the flower and applied a little bit of gesso too keep it shabby! Some ready made leaves and that was ready.

Next comes the focal object on the panel…the sentiment. I looks for some interesting craft quotes on the net and took a print out. The main sentiment is crackled with rock candy distress crackle paint and for the mini accordion behind it, I have used hand made paper on which I have used TCW stencil and Di to create a back ground and then stuck the quotes. On the edges I have applied gesso here too.

Do take time to read the quotes…This is so true with me. Is it the same with you too…do let me know.
I clipped the quotes to a mini clothes pin and stuck it to the panel and highlighted it with a jute twine bow!

I then drilled holes on the wood panel and strung in some baubles in complimenting colors and some copper wire. I had to tie a silver ribbon bow on one side to just lighten it up a bit!

I small cow bell retrieved from a broken wind chime at home, finds its place on the lower end of the panel! I have rubbed in gesso here too.
That’s it..my clean and simple project is ready…Do you think it is so??? Do let me know…If you know my style of work,you will understand my struggle here!!!!

My daughter just loves to hit on the bell every time she passes by it and says” Amma, it is time to craft”…I just love her for understanding my love and passion for the art and giving me time for it too.
This project is dedicated to all you craft lovers…Thank you all for stopping by, leaving comments, visiting me and also following my blog!
Hope this inspires you and would love to see your creations at Anything But a Card Challenge, this month.

I would like to link my “clean” project in the following challenges…

Frosted Designs - White space
Fab "n" Funky Challenges - 3 embellishments ( flowers, beads, bells,bow)
Crafting by Designs - Anything Goes
Die Cutting Divas- Ribbon, Twine Pattern paper, pearls
Crafty Catz- Ribbon
613 Avenue Create - Anything Goes
Vintage Stamping Challenge - Anything but a card
Scrap It Girl - Use paints, water colors or gelatos ( have used acrylic colors)
Sugar Creek Hollow - Recycling ( wooden invite, bell from a broken chime)
Until my next creative journey,
Happy Crafting and Re cycling,

Cheers.

















69 comments:

  1. Fabulous make Rupa - I love the colour combinations and your flowers are just fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so happy to hear this from you Jennie...you are my inspiration for flowers and this means a lot yo me! THANKS...hope you can hear me loud and clear. Big hugs.

      Delete
  2. A fabulous technique leading to an amazing final piece. I love all the textures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful altered art yet again, Rupa. I loved the quotes you have added here. I'm imagining that by now, your home must be full of beautiful home decor all handcrafted and upcycled by you, isn't it? How great feeling it must be !! And after all the detailed projects you have done, I'm sure this must be a struggle for you, but none-the-less, you have done it amazingly well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a bunch Jasleen, glad you understood my struggle. It was not easy...always had the feeling, I was missing out on something! Really appreciate you crafters who churn out CAS cards in a jiffy...it's not easy, I get it. have a great week dear.

      Delete
  4. Love this Rupa! The colors are so beautiful, they are just so inviting and calming. Great job!
    xo Rita Marie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So happy to know my plaque has given the desired result. I wanted something calm and soothing..Thank you so much, Rita.

      Delete
  5. Stunning and you are right about wonderful quotes and it is so true how when I start cleaning my space I find stuff I wish to play with. Love this. thanks for playing with DCD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, I knew I was not the only one out there who would have it that way, Lol!

      Delete
  6. Ohh !! wow ! this is simply beautiful Rupa ..I have never seen you use pastels before I think you should do it more often:) ..this one has such awesome details and gorgeous colors too ..Love it !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hussena... you are inspiring me to try pastels now. Let me see how long this effect lasts. Really appreciate it from you. Have a great week.

      Delete
  7. Another fantastic repurposed item project, Rupa ! So many lovely details and perfect crafty quotes, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much heather, have a great week. hugs.

      Delete
  8. Its Beautiful !! I totally Agree with HUssena that you should do more projects in pastels.The texture with cone painting and with glue both look nice and the booklet is my favorite happy fresh colors !

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Pooja. .will def keep in mind. Pastels seems to be the majority favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your project is lovely.I am glad that I checked your blog,otherwise I would have missed the part about the accordion book and all the other lovely details.Awesome idea of hand ..umm drawing those flourishes.Love the crackle and the treatment on the flowers and of course the colour.One of my fav colours.:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Am glad you did so Pallavi. .I knew a lot of us would associate with those quotes! Thanks for looking into the details and liking.

      Delete
  11. I love your make Rupa. Your recycled projects have wowed me for quite a while now. I'm so glad you are on our Anything But A Card Team.
    Thank you for the lovely comment on my blog...yes this project took a while...mainly working out how I was going to do it!
    The colours you are using today are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julie. . Am glad ABAC has brought us all together to appreciate each other's work and learn too. Thank for taking the time to here and liking it too.

      Delete
  12. Simply superb Rupa.. lovely textures and the booklet is cute .. I love the hanging bell..

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow Rupa! This is gorgeous! You are so creative! All the beautiful texture and colors are truly amazing! BRAVO!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you so much for your sweet comments Samra. Have a great week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This might be one of my favourite projects Rupa! I can't believe you drew on that design freehand! Not only is is genius and amazingly beautiful, but it really shows another level to your crafty skills! I love the colours and your fantastic flowers and those wonderful sentiments! This is just such a stunning and creative project, I am in luv with it girlfriend! big hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Pamellia...you are so generous with your words and there a lot to learn from you. Glad to know you thru blogging...Have a great week, my friend. see you soon with another project! Hugs.

      Delete
  16. Love love love this!! Thanks for playing along with Frosted Designs!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful shabby design, love your turquoise against the soft white and golds. Very pretty flowers.
    Julie x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful! So much work in that. Looks fabulous. Thanks for joining our '3 Embellishments' challenge at Fab 'n' Funky' this week. We look forward to seeing more of your gorgeous makes in future challenges. Hugs, Wends x Fab 'n' Funky DT

    ReplyDelete
  19. Rupa... this is so pretty... I can't believe you did those flourishes free hand... AMAZING !!! I am with you Rupa... I can't keep projects simple either... a little ink here, a little gesso there, but isn't the process wonderful !!! The sentiment you have " I can't clean my craft room because I get distracted by all the good stuff I find" .... perfect !!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Toni...it really makes me feel good that I am not alone in this journey! I knew many of us would associate with these quotes but it is even more a reality when you come up and say so. Thank you for that.

      Delete
  20. Beautiful wall art Rupa, and so happy that your daughter likes to use it too...
    Thanks for sharing it at CraftyCatz this week.x

    ReplyDelete
  21. Fabulous project, thanks for sharing with Fab N Funky.

    Hugs Beccy x

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow, thank to YOU for sharing this beauty! Gorgeous colour, amazing flowers, so elegant! But the thing I love most is how you created the texture, and that you shared the process with us.
    Funny quotes, too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  23. So amazing! The colors, the texture, the techniques . . . clean and simple um not so much. The quotes are inspiring as well! What a great way for your daughter to be your muse as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Neva...I told you this is my kind of simple...this is all I can manage, Lol!

      Delete
  24. Lovely! I just love the the colours & textures !The quotes are inspiring as well!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Fabulous Rupa..No words.I have totally fallen in love with ur work.I tried a lot to make those flowers but could not.Can u please tell me how do u make those flowers?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Srilakshmi for all those kind words. Hope to create more and make you happy!

      Delete
  26. Gorgeous project. Great mixed media details. Thanks for playing along with us at Scrap It Girl!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Beautiful! Thanks for joining us at Crafts 4 Eternity this week hugs x

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a stunner Rupa...I had to keep scrolling up and down and read and reread to understand all the technique you have poured into this beauty...only a true artist can bring such an amazing amalgamation of technical know how into a project and pull off a masterpiece. Do link it to the Imaginations Challenge too..this one is a sure fire winner
    Cheers
    Dr Sonia
    Cards Crafts Kids Projects

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a good start to the day! Thank you so much Sonia...your comments always makes me blush..you really understand all the details, don't you? Thanks for taking the time to so. Hugs.

      Delete
  29. Wow, so beautiful and colorful project! Thank you for joining our challenge at Frosted Designs!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Rupa, this plaque is simpky STUNNING!!!!! I love how you have created your textures. The pastel colours and flowers are perfect, as are the quotes. I so can relate to them! Truly inspirational!. Cheers, Di

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Di...we all belong to the great crafting community where we share a lot of common things. Hugs.

      Delete
  31. What a beautiful tag!! I love the colors and textures!! Thanks for joining us at Frosted Designs!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Love this!! Love the recipe for the paste...gotta try that!! Thanks for joining us at Frosted Designs!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joni, do try it and would love to know how it worked for you.

      Delete
  33. Lovely fresh colours and the weathered heart looks great. Just signed up as your newest follower!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh this is such a big surprise...I am so so honored! Thank you so much, Alison.

      Delete
  34. Super gorgeous, looks fabbo. Thanks for joining us at Scrap It Girl

    ReplyDelete
  35. Wwwwauuuu....Rupa....this is so beautiful and I like you altered art ;))) I like your colours and all the details. The bell is so cute ;)))
    Hugs, Jana

    ReplyDelete
  36. Beautiful! Thanks for playing along at Scrap It Girl!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Gorgeous! I love the color & the flowers. It's beautiful! Thanks for playing with us at Scrap It Girl! :)

    ReplyDelete